Pages

This site is currently under renovation. Mainly the tabs still need to be updated, so if the pages look weird or are empty, they will be updated shortly. If you have any comments or suggestions, please feel free to let me know! Thanks!

Saturday, April 18, 2009

A super tip for Strawberry Freezer Jam

,I learned this tip somewhere last year when I was making strawberry freezer jam, and really I LOVE it! It's so easy and fast! The first time I made freezer jam was right after Neil and I got married, and I don't know why, but it took FOREVER!! Now it is super fast and I love it! Yummy!

Today we bought a bunch of strawberries...and now we have lots of freezer jam! I can't wait for tomorrow when I can eat it! :D

Ok, here's the tip:

When washing your strawberries just rip off the leafy top, and then to hull the strawberries (taking out the center part) ...

take a straw (I just use one from one of my big water mugs)


and shove it all the way through the center. The center of the strawberry, that you don't want, just goes up the straw, and sometimes the strawberry splits, so you don't necessarily lose any of the juicy goodness.


And there you go! Your strawberry is hollowed out, and your are ready to smoosh! :)

*My other favorite tip: USE A POTATO MASHER to smash the fruit! It really does work the best, and leaves the perfect chunkiness! Trust me, I've tried everything! Blender, food processor, etc. The potato masher wins two hands down!

1 comment:

Tannie Datwyler said...

You are so sweet!! Thank you for letting me know about this. Ironically, I just made freezer jam with Erin Jensen! I LOVE that idea with the straw though because I think that would make it faster. I'll have to try it. I too liked using a potato masher. Thanks again - you are such a good and thoughtful friend.

Blog Archive